Friday, February 26, 2010

Open To Impressions

This is not what you think! In fact, I titled this entry to completely fake you out!

I am not generally a picky person, unless it has to do with milk selection at the grocery store. Got Milk? Good ole’ home grown dairy! Yum, Yum! If my future wife is reading this blog, she had better understand that she will be drinking milk, and lots of it for the rest of our mortal and post-mortal lives. Anyways, even the best brands of milk can have a very bad taste. A bad batch of milk, to me, has a metallic flavor or an “I’m about to become cottage cheese” taste. If you’ve ever bought one of these gallon bombs you know what I’m talking about. The interesting part of the milk selection process is that every brand of milk has its bad ones, and every brand has its good ones.

To further understand: timing is part of dating, just as timing is a part of getting funky milk or not. I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve been impressed by certain milk brands and been disappointed on other occasions. I have often dated someone or been impressed by them and then lost interest for a time, regained that interest, and then lost it again. I often wonder if I am allowing myself to be impressed as often as I should. Am I being open to impressions? I’m not talking about spiritual impressions. I’m talking about my ability to be impressed by someone to the point of seeking “the relationship connection.” I feel like my dating can become a game to see which brand tastes the best.

Second analogy . . . . construction. Driving through the orange gauntlet can be a daring task. There seems to be an endless array of signage and signals. Have you ever paid attention to those signs? Maybe you wouldn’t have hit that barrel the other day, or maybe you would’ve seen the crazy merging patterns at the Beck St. entrance. It is a transportation engineering fact that the clearer the signage, the better the distracted driver reacts. Too bad most of us couldn’t care less. We just want to get there, ya know, where we want to go!

Maybe we should all be more impressed by each other, so that when the sign says to take the entrance, we don’t miss it. We hurtle through life on a suicide course sometimes; only concerned with the final destination. A well designed traffic plan should have multiple alerts. I have to say, I’ve had multiple opportunities to be impressed by girls closest to me. I want to be open to the Lord’s timing; therefore, I will be open to impressions, yes, I will look for the “impressive” in every young single adult lady. Hopefully they will look for the “impressive” in me . . . Yikes! And I hope if I have a bad “metallic” tasting day, a young lady will realize that I have good days and bad days.

No comments: